Wanted: innovative ideas about climate protection and environmental conservation
Up until 21 June, companies and research institutions based in Germany can apply for the 2022 German Innovation Award for Climate and the Environment (Deutscher Innovationspreis für Klima und Umwelt, IKU). Individuals can also participate. The winners will receive 25,000 euros each.
Species protection integrated into a company's daily operations, intelligent energy management for industrial buildings, a resource-saving heating system for the production of plastic packaging... These are just a few examples of the ideas that were awarded last year by the Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (Bundesministerium für Umwelt, Naturschutz und nukleare Sicherheit, BMU) with the German Innovation Award for Climate and the Environment (Deutscher Innovationspreis für Klima und Umwelt, IKU). From now until 21 June, companies and research institutions can apply for the 2022 IKU. Once more, the award calls for ideas which will lead to new paths in climate protection and environmental conservation: innovative climate and environmentally friendly processes, products and services as well as technology transfer solutions for emerging and developing countries.
“An economic revival after the COVID-19 pandemic must combine climate protection and economic strength. For that we need the expertise, courage and creativity of companies and research institutions that lead by example. As pioneers, they can motivate others to do the same,” said Svenja Schulze, Federal Environment Minister.
The winners of the innovation award, which will take place for the eighth time in 2022, will receive a total of 175,000 euros. Each award winner will receive a prize of 25,000 euros. Additionally, the IKU press team will support the nominated candidates and winners with their press and public relations work.
The 7 categories of the Deutscher Innovationspreises für Klima und Umwelt 2022
- Process Innovation for Climate Protection: Technologies, techniques, procedures and processes with the primary objective of reducing energy consumption and lowering greenhouse gas emissions.
- Product and Service Innovation for Climate Protection: Products, services and business models with the primary objective of reducing energy consumption and lowering greenhouse gas emissions.
- Environmentally friendly Technologies: Technologies, techniques, procedures and processes whose environmental performance does not primarily involve climate protection.
- Environmentally friendly Products and Services: Products, services and business models whose environmental performance does not primarily involve climate protection.
- Co-operation: with developing and emerging countries in technical or social innovations for the protection of the climate and the environment.
- Innovation and Biodiversity: Innovations that promote climate protection and environmental conservation by improving biodiversity.
- Exploiting the Digital Transformation for Climate and Environmentally friendly Innovation: Innovations that use the opportunities of the digital transformation for climate protection and environmental conservation.
Participation: All companies, research institutions and individuals based in Germany can participate.
Selection: As the scientific partner of the IKU, the Fraunhofer-Institut for Systems and Innovation Research (ISI) will evaluate all applications in accordance with strict scientific criteria. The multidisciplinary jury will pick the winners from this shortlist.
Award ceremony: The winners will receive their awards at a festive event in Berlin in March 2022.
Application deadline: 21 June 2021. The application can be sent online, per email or via the post.
More information: www.iku-innovationspreis.de